Thursday, February 15, 2024

Otis Grand - Live At Burnley Blues Festival / Collaborations & Rarities (2 CD)

Album: Live At Burnley Blues Festival/Collaborations & Rarities
Size: 145,7 + 175,7 MB
Time: 63:13 + 76:04
File: MP3 @ 320K/s
Released: 2024
Styles: Blues
Art: Front

CD 1:
1. Please Don't Leave Me (6:43)
2. Later Than You Think (5:12)
3. Stabbed In The Back (7:44)
4. Burnley City Limits (6:21)
5. Love At First Sight (4:10)
6. Whole Lotta Lovin' (5:56)
7. Otis Rocks (5:39)
8. Woke Up This Morning (5:25)
9. Jump For Joy (6:48)
10. Down In New Orleans (3:00)
11. That's My Life (6:11)

CD 2:
1. I Like It This Way (4:56)
2. Camilla's Hop (4:09)
3. Insomnia (3:03)
4. Hot & Saucy (6:36)
5. Cheese & Crackers (3:31)
6. I'm The One (6:45)
7. Sit Right Here (5:19)
8. Chains Of Love (4:17)
9. I Want A Big Fat Mama (4:14)
10. No Reason (3:49)
11. When You Got A Woman (3:02)
12. When I Saw You This Morning (5:25)
13. All Your Love (5:51)
14. Looking Good (3:57)
15. Fear No Evil (3:19)
16. Strictly Reserved For You (3:23)
17. White Fox (4:20)

Otis Grand and I had been working on this project off and on for a few years before his tragic and untimely death. What we have here is a part of a magnificent body of work. Otis was guitarist, producer, bandleader, songwriter and general key figure on the blues scene. In the mid 1980s I was busy touring some great U.S. Blues acts all over the U.K. Suddenly out of nowhere comes this American guitarist with a British band and a great singer in Earl Green. Otis Grand became the biggest thing on the British circuit and in Europe too. Later on we would spend time together around the first Burnley Blues Festival. Otis had his very well deserved headlining spot. It's that show which is Disc A here and it is released in it's entirety for the first time.

Our first real artistic collaboration was the Guitar Shorty album. I had heard rumours of this incredible L.A. based guitarist who was the brother in law of Jimi Hendrix. I thought Otis was the perfect bandleader to back Shorty playing real blues style, no going 'commercial' and no nod to blues/rock. The result... perfection. The next opportunity was a real legend Phillip Walker. This track was cut at a lovely studio in London. Texas Blues with an L.A. twist was Phillip's style and this track stands with his best. The next studio set we collaborated on was with the man who virtually invented honking tenor sax, Joe Houston.

We also have Otis with Joe Louis Walker - both at the top of their game here. What's most important is not personalities, egos, honour or 'reputations'... but the art, the music. Throughout my time in this blues game I have become used to losing dear friends... but sometimes a loss leaves a particularly large hole in one's life. Otis Grand was a man and artist so much more than the sum of his particular parts and talents. Otis was Lebanese/American and a many faceted person who had his roots in several different cultures. It is our luck and honour that one of them was the Blues. /John Stedman

Live At Burnley Blues Festival/Collaborations & Rarities (2 CD) mc
Live At Burnley Blues Festival/Collaborations & Rarities (2 CD) gofile

14 comments:

daba said...

Thanks Rooster. An underrated artist. ๐Ÿค™๐Ÿ’™๐ŸŽผ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Smokey said...

Nice life and rare work. Thanks.

thebird said...

Thanks RR; much appreciated! Did you grab a lossless copy, as well?

Red Rooster said...

You're most welcome Daba, Smokey and TheBird, glad you guys enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

And to answer your question TheBird, I don't have a lossless copy of this release. My post are and will be at 320 kbs even though I know there are lots of you guys that prefer lossless files. But since it seems that 320 kbs isn't considered good enough quality anymore, maybe I should just stop posting.

daba said...

@Rooster Your sound quality has always been top notch. You have introduced me to many artists I did not know. You also read the comments and will posts more of the artist or post someone similar. For myself I am grateful!!! ๐Ÿค™๐Ÿ’™๐ŸŽผ๐Ÿ˜Ž

thebird said...

@ RR - my question wasn't meant to insult you; furthest thing from it. In fact, the initial portion of my comment read "Thanks RR; much appreciated!"
And nowhere did I (nor anyone else, for that matter) state that 320 isn't "good enough quality". I just prefer to have a lossless copy, whenever possible.

Red Rooster said...

No worries TheBird, I know you had no intention of insult. And your "thanks" was loud and clear. No offense taken. Thanks again for your first comment. And thanks Daba for your kind words.

Bluesercher said...

@ Red Rooster
A great thanks for this beautiful concert by one-and-only Otis Grand. I was on two his different concerts. This was to me fantastic guitar player, and cool musisians.
Thank you very much.

Red Rooster said...

You're most welcome Bluesercher, glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comment, it's appreciated. And I totally agree with you on that Otis Grand was a great musician. Never got the opportunity to see him live though.

pheebster said...

Hearing Otis Grand is like an encyclopaedia of blues guitar styles. I'm very grateful for this, Red Rooster

Red Rooster said...

You're most welcome Pheebster, glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comment, it's appreciated.

kev said...

Links are all dead . Any chance of a reup sometime TIA

Red Rooster said...

Links for this post updated August 18, 2024.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Red Rooster