Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Slim Harpo - The Excello Singles Anthology (2 CD)

Album: The Excello Singles Anthology
Size: 133,0 + 142,0 MB
Time: 57:39 + 61:34
File: MP3 @ 320K/s
Released: 2003
Styles: Blues, harmonica blues
Art: Front

CD 1:
1. I'm A King Bee (3:03)
2. I Got Love If You Want It (2:48)
3. Wondering And Worryin' (2:08)
4. Strange Love (2:10)
5. You'll Be Sorry One Day (2:18)
6. One More Day (2:26)
7. Buzz Me Babe (2:17)
8. Late Last Night (2:38)
9. Blues Hang-Over (3:06)
10. What A Dream (3:02)
11. Don't Start Cryin' Now (2:13)
12. Rainin' In My Heart (2:33)
13. I Love The Life I'm Living (2:32)
14. Buzzin' (2:08)
15. I Need Money (Keep Your Alibis) (2:22)
16. Little Queen Bee (Got A Brand New King) (2:38)
17. Still Rainin' In My Heart (3:00)
18. We're Two Of A Kind (2:49)
19. Sittin' Here Wondering (3:21)
20. What's Goin' On Baby (2:47)
21. Harpo's Blues (2:14)
22. Please Don't Turn Me Down (2:56)

CD 2:
1. Baby Scratch My Back (2:53)
2. I'm Gonna Miss You (Like The Devil) (2:20)
3. Shake Your Hips (2:29)
4. Midnight Blues (2:08)
5. I'm Your Bread Maker, Baby (2:33)
6. Loving You (The Way I Do) (2:57)
7. Tip On In (Part 1) (2:52)
8. Tip On In (Part 2) (2:38)
9. I'm Gonna Keep What I've Got (2:21)
10. I've Got To Be With You Tonight (2:59)
11. Te-Ni-Nee-Ni-Nu (2:05)
12. Mailbox Blues (2:44)
13. Mohair Sam (2:32)
14. I Just Can't Leave You (3:16)
15. That's Why I Love You (3:04)
16. Just For You (3:26)
17. Folsom Prison Blues (3:56)
18. Mutual Friend (3:50)
19. I've Got My Finger On Your Trigger (1:55)
20. The Price Is Too High (2:04)
21. Rainin' In My Heart (Overdubbed Version) (2:34)
22. Jody Man (3:46)

Slim Harpo brought a good bit of the Louisiana swamp vibe with him when he recorded these immortal singles for Jay Miller's Nashville-based Excello Records in the early '60s, and the rustic, laconic way these recordings unfold, aided and abetted by Miller's trademark echo-laden production, makes them singular even inside the Excello stable.

This two-disc set has everything essential that Harpo released, including his biggest songs "I'm a King Bee" (and its many variations like "Buzzin'"), the gorgeous "Rainin' in My Heart," "Baby Scratch My Back," the two-part "Tip on In," and "Te-Ni-Nee-Ni-Nu," as well as various B-sides and other ephemera that all add up to a complete look at this unique musician. By rolling country and swamp blues together up into a completely new place, then sprinkling in just a touch of Jimmy Reed, Harpo created a body of work that has been as impossible to re-create as it has been influential. All the proof is here. /Steve Leggett, AllMusic

(For personnel and recording details, see artwork included.)

The Excello Singles Anthology (2 CD) mc
The Excello Singles Anthology (2 CD) gofile

5 comments:

daba said...

Thanks Rooster! :)

Bob#1 said...

flac tracks here: https://yousayblues.blogspot.com/2017/05/slim-harpo.html#more

Red Rooster said...

You're most welcome Daba, glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comment, it's appreciated. And I'm sure there's always someone who will appreciated Bob#1's flac link.

Anonymous said...

Cheers for this post.Much appreciated, Glinn

Red Rooster said...

You're most welcome Glinn, glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comment, it's appreciated.