Thursday, July 26, 2018

Big Joe Turner - San Francisco 1977 (2 CD)

Nicknamed "Boss of the Blues", "Big" Joe Turner's musical appeal spread well beyond his Kansas City roots: he was also a highly regarded jazz singer, as well as a musical godfather to every up and coming rock 'n' roll group worldwide. He was discovered in his native Kansas City in the 1930s by impresario and record producer extraordinaire John Hammond, who brought him to New York for a concert at Carnegie Hall as well as dates at some of New York's most prestigious clubs.

Invited by Duke Ellington to appear in his 1941 revue entitled "Jump For Joy", it opened the door to perform with legendary jazz musicians such as Art Tatum, Meade Lux Lewis, Albert Ammons and others. By the 1950s, Joe had signed with Atlantic Records where he ushered in the rock 'n' roll era, performing such classics as "Shake, Rattle and Roll", "Morning, Noon and Night", "TV Mama" (which featured the slick guitar work of Elmore James), "Chains of Love" and "Honey Hush (Hi Ho Silver)" among others.

This CD, recorded March 5, 1977 at the Palms Cafe in San Francisco, embodies all of Turner's considerable talents and offers 23 tracks on 2 discs.

Personnel: Joe Turner (vocals); Mike Bloomfield (guitar); Mark Naftalin (piano); Pat Campbell (bass); Bob Scott (drums); Unknown (saxophone).

Album: San Francisco 1977
Year: 2017
Bitrate: MP3@320K/s
Time: 77:56
Size: 179,6 MB
Styles: Blues
Scans: Full

CD 1 (Set 1):
1. The Night Time Is The Right Time (7:19)
2. Flip Flop And Fly (6:15)
3. Honey Hush (Hi Ho Silver) (5:54)
4. T.V. Mama (5:14)
5. Chains Of Love (7:25)
6. Corrine, Corrina (5:42)
7. I Hear You Knocking (8:04)
8. How Long Blues (6:49)
9. Give Me An Hour In Your Garden (11:27)
10. Shoo Shoo Boogie Boo (7:21)
11. Early One Morning (6:22)

CD 2 (Set 2):
1. Everyday I Have The Blues (10:00)
2. Medley: I've Got A Pocketful Of Pencils/I Want My Baby To Write Me (13:16)
3. Ain't Gonna Be Your Lowdown Dog (3:31)
4. Stormy Monday Blues (6:31)
5. When The Sun Goes Down (3:26)
6. Morning, Noon And Night (3:22)
7. Hide And Go Seek (4:42)
8. Shake, Rattle And Roll (3:22)
9. The Things I Used To Do (9:38)
10. Chicken And The Hawk (4:49)
11. On My Way To Denver Blues (11:07)
12. Write Me A Letter (5:47)

San Francisco 1977 (2 CD) mc
San Francisco 1977 (2 CD) zippy

11 comments:

Ballas said...

Superb Red Rooster. Thank you very much.

Steve626 said...

@ Red Rooster:

Thank you very much for this! Can't wait to give it a listen. I'll be posting a little Bloomfield tribute in the Basement for you.

marc said...

Anybody know whos on sax?

Red Rooster said...

You're all welcome Ballas, Steve626 and Marc, glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comments.

Red Rooster said...

@Marc.. Think I have an answer to your questions about the sax players. Found a comment on Amazon made by Pat Campbell who played upright bass on these recordings, and he named the sax players (his comment was made for another album, "Shake, Rattle & Blues", which I believe is from the same concert). Here's an excerpt from that comment:

"Now to clear up the subject of the "unknown horn players." They are NOT unkown & in fact they are quite WELL known. Phil Smith (Aretha & many others) was on the tenor & baritone saxes & John Stafford (Burbon St Irregulars & many others) was on the alto sax."

Guess that answers your question.

Bob Mac said...

Thanks from me too RR.

marc said...

Red Rooster,Thanks for the post and info on the sax .

Nappyrags said...

Muchisimos Gracias for this!!!

Red Rooster said...

You welcome too Bob Mac and Nappyrags, glad you enjoyed the post. And I'm also glad I could help you out with your question Marc, merely a coincident I found the info though.. but still. Thanks for your comments guys.

Arvin said...

Gorgeous post, many thanks Red!

Red Rooster said...

You're welcome Arvin, glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for your comment.