Willie King was born in Prairie Point, MS, in 1943. After his father left, Willie and his siblings was raised by his grandparents, local sharecroppers. Music was important to the King family - Willie's grandfather was a gospel singer, and his absent father was an amateur blues musician. Young Willie made a diddley bo by nailing a baling wire to a tree in the yard. By age 9 he had a one-string guitar that he could bring indoors to play at night.
In 1967, Willie King moved to Chicago in an attempt to make more money than he could down South. After a year spent on the West and South Side, he returned to Old Memphis, Alabama, just across the border from the Mississippi Prairie. A salesman - of shoes, cologne, and other frivolities - Willie traveled the rural roads hawking goods and talking politics. Choosing not to work under the "old system" of unequal treatment, King joined the civil rights movement near the end of the decade, eventually associating with the left-wing Highlander Center.
By the late 1970s, King was writing what he calls "struggling songs" - political blues tunes that he used to educate his audiences. As King explains "through the music I could reach more people, get 'em to listen." Yet as his rollicking blues style attests, King still knows how to have a good time. He played the juke circuit and bootlegged whiskey on the side, resorting to popular blues covers when the "struggling songs" upset a close-minded audience.
In 1967, Willie King moved to Chicago in an attempt to make more money than he could down South. After a year spent on the West and South Side, he returned to Old Memphis, Alabama, just across the border from the Mississippi Prairie. A salesman - of shoes, cologne, and other frivolities - Willie traveled the rural roads hawking goods and talking politics. Choosing not to work under the "old system" of unequal treatment, King joined the civil rights movement near the end of the decade, eventually associating with the left-wing Highlander Center.
By the late 1970s, King was writing what he calls "struggling songs" - political blues tunes that he used to educate his audiences. As King explains "through the music I could reach more people, get 'em to listen." Yet as his rollicking blues style attests, King still knows how to have a good time. He played the juke circuit and bootlegged whiskey on the side, resorting to popular blues covers when the "struggling songs" upset a close-minded audience.
Album: Jukin' At Bettie's
Bitrate: 320K/s
Time: 56:08
Size: 128.5 MB
Styles: Juke joint blues
Year: 2004
Art: Front
[6:18] 1. Jukin' At Bettie's
[8:08] 2. It Takes A Good Woman
[4:29] 3. That's What The Blues Is All About
[8:15] 4. Troubles To The Wind
[8:24] 5. Don't Blame It On Me
[6:57] 6. The Real Deal
[6:59] 7. Systematic Train
[6:35] 8. Back To The Woods
Dancing blues recorded live at one of Mississippi's best juke joints by one of today's greatest blues musicians and nominated for the 2006 Blues Music Award "Traditionl Album of the Year." Debbie Bond on guitar and backing vocals!
Jukin' At Bettie's mc
Jukin' At Bettie's zippy
Album: I Am The Blues
Bitrate: 320K/s
Time: 46:34
Size: 106.6 MB
Styles: Juke joint blues
Year: 2000
Art: Front
[3:41] 1. Strolling With Willie
[5:30] 2. Betty's Place
[5:12] 3. I Am The Blues
[5:30] 4. Crawlin'
[6:28] 5. All Tied Up
[6:11] 6. Shake It
[5:55] 7. You're Going To Worry
[5:39] 8. The Wolf Is Back
[2:25] 9. Willie's Testament
Twice Living Blues Artist of the Year, Willie King's first self-produced CD is a masterpiece. Get on down to the real deal, juke joint boogie blues . .
I Am The Blues mc
I Am The Blues zippy


14 comments:
The Most Great !!! Thank you very much for this excellent author.
Looking for the first album: WALKIN' THE WALK TALKIN' THE TALK (1999). Any help? Thanks in advance!
@Elton: Willie King : Walkin the Walk (not my own rip, small cover)
http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/wQy9z3kp/file.html
Mr. Ramirez! No problem with small cover. I was trying to buy the original CD but could not find yet. Thank you very much for posting! All the best!
Could somebody repost "Jukin' At Bettie's"? Thanks in advance.
New links for "Jukin' At Bettie's" can be found below. Different copy from the one originally posted, full art included.
Willie King - Jukin' At Bettie's (2004) [320]
MC: https://www.mirrored.to/files/1FZKWFUY/WK-JAB.rar_links
Zippy: https://www61.zippyshare.com/v/UnAErFL2/file.html
Could the links for these two be renewed, please?
@Pheebster:
Link below for both albums.
Willie King - 2000 - I Am The Blues [FLAC] 16-44
Willie King - 2004 - Jukin' At Betties [FLAC] 16-44
I don't have the mp3 copies - artwork included.
https://gofile.io/d/1J6DMn
@frankie:-
You're one of the best, frankie. Thank you so much
@pheebster
flattery will get you "everywhere" :)
@frankie:-
I used to be into philately, as well :-)
Debbie Bond - Blues Without Borders (2021) @320 King's guitarist on Jukin' At Betties. I see there's another called Enjoy The Ride, but I haven't got that
https://mega.nz/file/VjoXkZIZ#RGh7QctZmAc-dkIHEhFi-GPFUZt7_o2gLkE8xlS83p4
I have those cd's
Her website lists a total of five albums, but I'd like anything by her if you don't mind, please. I'm away for most of this week, so don't hurry on my account.
Debbie Bond interview:- https://blues.gr/profiles/blogs/an-interview-with-blues-activist-debbie-bond-a-musician-with
Thanks frankie! :)
Post a Comment