Monday, June 15, 2020

Jack De Keyzer - The Best Of Jack De Keyzer Vol. 1

Year: 2017
Bitrate: MP3@320K/s
Time: 70:26
Size: 162,0 MB
Styles: Electric blues
Scans: Front

1. Music Is The Food Of Love (3:40)
2. Soul Lover (4:24)
3. Ride With Me (3:59)
4. Blues Thing (4:29)
5. Engine Trouble (5:40)
6. High On Your Love (4:33)
7. That's The Only Time (4:44)
8. Gambler's Blues (3:08)
9. Cotton Candy (4:45)
10. Who Let The Cat (Out Of The Bag) (4:28)
11. Nothing In The World (4:19)
12. My Love Has Gone (Live Waterfront Fest, 2014) (5:20)
13. The Way That I Love You (6:04)
14. Hard Working Man (4:19)
15. Rock 'N' Roll Girl (Live Diamond Club CBC, 1990) (3:20)
16. Blue Train (3:06)

Well folks, here it is in all its ragged glory. Sixteen of what I consider my best tracks, spanning 24 years of recordings, condensed into 70+ minutes of blues, rock and soul good times! Opening with a lift from Bill Shakespeare, things start off swinging regally with Music is the Food of Love, which pretty well summons up three of my musical loves - blues, soul and jazz. Soul Lover is a Latin, blues romance inspired by Chicago Blues and Mexican heat. Next we hit the road and cruise in my old Cadillac-Texas style with Ride With Me. (I drive the Hyundai minivan now!) It features a great David McMorrow solo.

Blues Thing, from the album of the same name, is somewhere between Hi, Stax, Memphis and Whitby, Ontario. Engine Trouble is one of my most popular tunes and this is the original version recorded at famed Liquid Sound, Toronto, which eventually had to close because of flooding and leaking pipes! High On Your Love is a soul rocker, evoking Stones and Stax. That’s The Only Time won the International Song Competition’s first prize for blues composition and kept me in guitar strings for a long time. I think it’s one of my best lyrics, but damn if I can ever remember them all! Gambler’s Blues is a rollicking nod to the King, featuring a young Tyler Yarema rocking the piano.

Cotton Candy goes way back to my Bopcat rock’n roll days. Speaking of cats... Who Let The Cat (Out Of The Bag) is a super fun track with a bunch of Chicago and Toronto blues legends, including the great Willie “Big Eyes” Smith on drums and Bob Stroger on bass. Nothing in the World is one of my favourite and most personal tunes and was a hit on Country Music TV back in the late 90’s. This is the R&B version recorded live, featuring a fantastic Dave Dunlop solo. My Love Has Gone was recorded live in Toronto and has never been released on CD. I think it’s a passionate performance by everyone in the band. The Way That I Love You, combines, blues and soul jazz with some interesting Groove Dr keyboards.

Next up Hard Working Man is an out take and is a funky Memphis style take on the tune that was the title track of my first solo album back in 1991. It features great solos from Martin Aucoin and Chris Murphy. Rock-a-billy was a big part of my career from 79-85 and Rock’n Roll Girl is a live CBC recording of a previously unreleased song. It is blazing. I may have to start playing a Telecaster again! Finally, my first commercially successful tune, Blue Train, although not blues, was written in honour of Muddy Waters. It’s been enjoyable and emotional revisiting all these memories and recordings. I hope you enjoy this record as much as I have loved putting it all together! /Liner notes by Jack de Keyzer

The Best Of Jack De Keyzer Volume One mc
The Best Of Jack De Keyzer Volume One zippy

No comments: