Friday, October 2, 2015

Silver King Band - Blues-Shuck & Jive

Size: 122,9 MB
Time: 53:41
File: MP3 @ 320K/s
Released: 1994
Styles: Harmonica Blues
Art: Full

01. Boogie At Midnite (3:22)
02. Monkey Hips And Rice (3:45)
03. Memphis Blues (6:09)
04. Anywhere You Go (3:50)
05. The Tampa Grind (2:53)
06. Suitcase Blues (4:13)
07. Cry On (4:48)
08. I'm The Cat (1:48)
09. Dat Ain't No Lie (2:54)
10. I Ain't (3:35)
11. You Ain't Invited (3:09)
12. The Waitress Song (2:12)
13. Cindy Lea (3:47)
14. Be Baba Leba (3:03)
15. Ice Cream Freezer (4:07)

The Silver King Band was a sensation from Florida to Norway! With Rock Bottom on harp and vocals, St. Petey Twiggs on piano & vocals and Flo Mingo on washboard and vocals, they rocked and rolled thru the hokum good-time blues of a bygone era. These three zany personalities were loved by all who heard them ... No-holds barred, they were at one time banned in Oslo, Norway which made them more popular then ever! This band actually kicked off in 1980 and back then, they produced some successful vinyl. Their broad vision and off-beat instrumentation tends to make their sound unique. This is stuff you could have heard in a smelly, sweaty Florida barroom.

Blues-Shuck & Jive

5 comments:

Lord Carrett said...

I was pleasantly surprised to see The Silver King (Rhythm) Band on HeyGetRhythm! It was a blast from the past.

They had a Monday night residency in a bar I worked in, so I was lucky enough to get to see them 30-40 times, and I never got tired of their one-of-a-kind approach, and their ribald sense of humor. To put it simply they were entertainers--never to be equalled. Oh, and by the way, there wasn't a guy who saw them who didn't develop a crush on Flo Mingo and pine to stroke her washboard.

Flo and Rock have passed, and St. Petey Twig is living in Key West, and still performs (as Barry Cuda the name he used on all the mailings for their mailing list).

I have their live album "Live From The Dive" and their single "My Balls Are Blue (From Loving You)" with "Lovin' Machine" on the flip, and will try to digitize/share them when they turn up, to further spread the word about this (inter)national treasure.

They were better live than in the studio so, if you enjoy these studio recordings, the live album is recommended.

Bluestender said...

Expect the un-expected from the HGR team :)

I hope you can share with us the material you have from them. Thanks for your comment.

Motown Fats said...

Hey BT,

Could you please re-post this hard to find CD when you have time? Thanks.

Flash said...

Silver King Band - Blues - Shuck & Jive - 1994 - 320:

https://www102.zippyshare.com/v/uh1a57Uv/file.html

Motown Fats said...

Hey JJF,

Many thanks for the quick response. Stay safe!