Source: LL (from CD)
Released: 2012
Styles: Blues
Time: 40:13
Size: 92,7 MB
Art: Full
Musicians
Benny Turner - bass & vocal
June Yamagishi - lead guitar
Derwin Perkins - rhythm guitar
Alonzo Johnson - bass
Barney Floyd - trumpet
Jason Mingledorff - saxophone
Greg Dawson - saxophone
Davell Crawford - keyboard & B3
Keiko Komaki - keyboard & organ
Chizuko Yoshihiro - piano
Jeffrey Alexander - drums
(3:29) 1. Boogie Man
(4:52) 2. Let the Good Times Roll
(5:45) 3. Have You Ever Loved a Woman
(3:54) 4. Goin' Down
(3:24) 5. You Can Run But You Can't Hide
(4:46) 6. Same Old Blues
(4:00) 7. Me and My Guitar
(3:56) 8. Tore Down
(3:07) 9. Lowdown in Lodi
(2:56) 10. Hideaway
Benny Turner is a younger brother of blues legend Freddie King, and they learned basic guitar playing from their mother Elle Mae Turner. Benny himself is a veteran musician of more than fifty years and played everywhere from the Chitlin circuit to Europe, Japan, Australia and all points in between. During the late 50’s Benny played guitar with gospel group The Kindly Shepherds, and is on a handful of their recordings for the Nashboro label (guitar and background vocals) from that time. While best known today as a bass player, Benny played guitar during many of his gigs in the early years, both locally in Chicago and on the road. A last-minute request to sit in with Freddie’s band to cover for Robert Elem at the Squeeze Club gave Benny his first introduction to playing bass, with some “on-the-job training” at its finest!
The idea for this tribute CD began some years ago, and much of the work was done before Hurricane Katrina. When Katrina hit, like so many places in New Orleans, the recording studio was flooded, but the hard work was preserved when he rescued the recordings and evacuated to Florida. Post-hurricane recovery in New Orleans has been a long and uphill battle, but we were finally able to pick up the pieces and resume work on this project once again. Rather than trying to play like Freddie on this CD (because there is only one Freddie King), I wanted to celebrate him in my own way by choosing some of the songs we liked and also using techniques I've learned over the years. I've been fortunate to play with legendary blues musicians and gospel groups, such as The Original Soul Stirrers. Freddie and I both loved the harmonies used in gospel music, but there hasn't been much of that style used in the blues. A few of the tracks I selected deserve special mention. When we originally wrote "Hide Away" there was a break we used which didn't make it onto the Federal recording. I decided to include it in this CD, since its the way we originally put the song together. Marva Wright's vocals in "Tore Down" are her last CD appearance before her passing in 2010. I would like to give sincere thanks to Otis Clay, who also recorded this song with me, however we decided to honor Marva in this special way by using her recording. "Lowdown in Lodi" was a favorite of Freddie's - he and I had a great time when we toured with John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival.
The idea for this tribute CD began some years ago, and much of the work was done before Hurricane Katrina. When Katrina hit, like so many places in New Orleans, the recording studio was flooded, but the hard work was preserved when he rescued the recordings and evacuated to Florida. Post-hurricane recovery in New Orleans has been a long and uphill battle, but we were finally able to pick up the pieces and resume work on this project once again. Rather than trying to play like Freddie on this CD (because there is only one Freddie King), I wanted to celebrate him in my own way by choosing some of the songs we liked and also using techniques I've learned over the years. I've been fortunate to play with legendary blues musicians and gospel groups, such as The Original Soul Stirrers. Freddie and I both loved the harmonies used in gospel music, but there hasn't been much of that style used in the blues. A few of the tracks I selected deserve special mention. When we originally wrote "Hide Away" there was a break we used which didn't make it onto the Federal recording. I decided to include it in this CD, since its the way we originally put the song together. Marva Wright's vocals in "Tore Down" are her last CD appearance before her passing in 2010. I would like to give sincere thanks to Otis Clay, who also recorded this song with me, however we decided to honor Marva in this special way by using her recording. "Lowdown in Lodi" was a favorite of Freddie's - he and I had a great time when we toured with John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival.
A Tribute to My Brother Freddie King

6 comments:
Thank you very much Johnny Lee, you're the one...
Can we get a re-up on this one?!? TIA.
New links for this post can be found below.
Benny Turner - A Tribute To My Brother Freddie King (2012) [320]
MC: https://www.mirrored.to/files/RN2G5FDW/BT-ATTMBFK.rar_links
Zippy: https://www18.zippyshare.com/v/4536MJTd/file.html
Merci, RR! You are a gentleman and a scholar!
May I get this reupped please when time allows. 🤙💙🎼😎
New links for this post can be found below.
Benny Turner - A Tribute To My Brother Freddie King (2012) [320]
MC: https://www.mirrored.to/files/1HQOQPE4/BT-ATTMBFK.rar_links
GoFile: https://gofile.io/d/YZOCBd
Post a Comment