Thursday, December 19, 2013

Johnnie Bassett - I Can Make That Happen

Bitrate: 320K/s
Time: 44:22
Size: 101.6 MB
Styles: Detroit blues
Year: 2012
Art: Front

[3:21] 1. Proud To Be From Detroit
[3:34] 2. Love Lessons
[3:35] 3. Spike Boy
[4:32] 4. I Can Make That Happen
[4:23] 5. Cry To Me
[4:01] 6. Teach Me To Love
[3:20] 7. Dawging Around
[3:20] 8. Cha'mon!
[7:44] 9. Reconsider Baby
[3:10] 10. Motor City Blues
[3:19] 11. Let's Get Hammered

For all his talent, Bassett has made just a handful of feature albums. The best of the five is his new one, I Can Make That Happen (Sly Dog Records)—its release is cause for celebration. Bassett, even-tempered and polite, says, “My sound and the way I play and tune my guitar is different from anybody. I designed it that way when I was getting into the business. I heard all the other guitarists coming up and they all sounded the same to me— everybody wanted to be B.B. King or T-Bone Walker. I wanted to be different-sounding.” He realized his goal long ago through his open tuning, his impeccable timing, his personal way of bending notes, his mix of playfulness and relaxation in phrasing, and his arsenal of signature licks. Only a few of Bassett’s peers play from the heart as convincingly as he does on his trusty old Gibson, Heritage and Conrad guitars.

The Florida-born septuagenarian turns in fine performances on strong original material for I Can Make That Happen, supported by ace musicians belonging to two popular Detroit bands. Keyboardist Chris Codish, bassist James Simonson and drummer Skeeto Valdez are The Brothers Groove. The Motor City Horns consists of saxophonist Keith Kaminski, trombonist John Rutherford, and trumpeters Bob Jensen and Mark Byerly. (Each of these players also contributed to the success of Bassett’s 2009 Sly Dog release, The Gentleman Is Back.)

“The whole experience was electrifying,” says Bassett about recording the new album. “We rehearsed three days. I like what we got out of that.” Codish, who produced with Kaminski, recalls, “It was a lot of fun. All of us have been playing together for a long time and we were comfortable with each other. And I think we’ve grown as a band since the first record.” So, what’s it like to play with Bassett? "Johnnie's the top of the groove pyramid,' says Chris Codish, "where he sets the time with his playing, it's very natural for the rest of the band to fall in beneath him to support and follow him. He makes it fun."

I Can Make That Happen

2 comments:

smitty said...

Mat could you re-up. Thanks

mat.tiggas said...

new link 26march2016.