Thursday, November 2, 2017

Buddy Guy - A Man And The Blues

Size: 96,8 MB MB
Time: 38:39
File: MP3 @ 320K/s
Released: 1968/1987
Styles: Chicago Blues
Label: Vanguard
Art: Full

01. A Man And The Blues (6:23)
02. I Can't Quit The Blues (3:20)
03. Money (That's What I Want) (2:54)
04. One Room Country Shack (5:39)
05. Mary Had A Little Lamb (2:32)
06. Just Playing My Axe (2:55)
07. Sweet Little Angel (5:39)
08. Worry, Worry (6:21)
09. Jam On A Monday Morning (2:52)

The guitarist's first album away from Chess -- and to be truthful, it sounds as though it could have been cut at 2120 S. Michigan, with Guy's deliciously understated guitar work and a tight combo anchored by three saxes and pianist Otis Spann laying down tough grooves on the vicious "Mary Had a Little Lamb," "I Can't Quit the Blues," and an exultant cover of Mercy Dee's "One Room Country Shack." ~Review By Bill Dahl

A Man And The Blues

10 comments:

Tom C said...

A big, big Thank You, Bluestender - I really appreciate it.

Ace said...

My favorite album by Buddy Guy...
Thank you,
Ace

Bob Mac said...

My favorite Buddy too. I have this but think it's lower bitrate so just took a copy. I adored BG's playing when he was making records like this. Thanks for the post.

George said...

I'm personally VERY unhappy with B. Guy's grunge-blues output since his comecack in 1990. But what can I say about this album? It's superb, to say the least - an excellent follow-up to his Chess recordings. And there's also this characteristic Vanguard sound, that gives a quite different aura to this album, compared to his Chess work. Thanks!

Gerard Herzhaft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gerard Herzhaft said...

I utterly agree with Bob Mac and George. Buddy was an absolute wonderful, feelingful, inventive blues guitarist (and a tough singer too) during more than two decades of his career. A kind and quite shy man when I chatted with him in 1965, he became more and more bitter and angry to watch some of his "fans" (particularly the British) taking a lot of his guitar tricks and ideas and making a huge amount of $ with it when he still was thriving to make a decent living. I remember he told me (I guess in 1978 or somewhat around when he played with Jr Wells in Lyon, Fr) that one day he would make " a hot shit" if this was the only way to grab some money...

George said...

Sounds quite interesting to have chatted with Buddy Guy in these occasions. And, mind you, the ''hot shit'' statement was made in late '70s, a decade that was extremely difficult for most bluesmen: some made no records at all, others made uncomplimentary albums, like B. Guy's JSP ones. B.B. made crossover albums to be in the spotlight. By 1980, it was common belief that the blues was about to become extinct. So it might be simply reasonable for Buddy to try to be a little commercial in his comeback.

Tom C said...

I have to agree with previous comments - this is a truly great record and is my favorite Buddy album as well.
And yeah, his 90's comeback stuff is more commercial and can't compare with recordings like this but not everything from then on has been bad. And I certainly don't begrudge him finally making the big bucks he deserves and getting his due - I'm sure there's many who only discovered his great older sides after discovering him through his comeback stuff.
Thanks again for the post, Bluestender.

Bob Mac said...

I don't know of any other blues guitarist whose style altered so much as BG. I only saw him live once, in Australia in 2006. Great concert, great guitar playing, lots of Cream & Hendrix & SRV tributes, no complaints whatsoever, but I wish I could of seen him earlier when he still played like this album.

mfarkas2 said...

Totally agree with Bobmac. Why doesn’t he play his earlier material on tour?